Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11th

Where were you 13 years ago on this day?


I was in Minnesota packing, ready to take a long drive to Pensacola, Florida where my then sister-in-law was going to get married.  I made arrangements with my best friend to watch the kids for the week while we were gone, so I was set there.  I had the TV on Good Morning America, luggage was on the bed as I was in the process of packing our clothes when they broke the news that a plane had struck the North Tower of the World Trade Center.  There wasn't much news immediately, but then they started showing video of the tower when suddenly, we saw another plane hitting the South Tower as it was happening.

I remember calling out to my ex, and he came in the room as we both watched the horror unfold; reports of a plane hitting the Pentagon, of a plane crashing in Pennsylvania and of course the two towers collapsing.

It was horrible and we watched for hours, trying to decide if we should still go or stay home.  After a flurry of calls we decided to go ahead and make the drive.  We were still packing when the kids got home; my son was terrified and insisted on coming with us.  My daughter - the youngest but the calmer of the two - chose to stay with my best friend. 

We made it safe and sound to the wedding and back to Minnesota without incident, but it was still scary as we didn't know what was going to happen or if another attack was going to occur.

So on this day, I'd like to say a brief prayer to the 2,977 victims of the 9/11 attacks, their families and loved ones.  You will not be forgotten. May God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment